|+ 1900 - 1919
- 1902 - Ransom E. Olds is America's largest auto manufacturer and Cadillac Automobile company is organized
- 1903 - Henry Ford begins production. Dodge Brothers contract to supply Ford with 650 complete chassis.
- 1908 - General Motors Company organized - incorporating the Buick Motor Company - Oldsmobile becomes second company to join General Motors. Ford begins production of Model T.
- 1911 - Charles Kettering invents the electric starter (first installed in a Cadillac)
- 1911 - General Motors Truck Company (later known as GMC) is organized
- 1917 - United States entered WWI
- 1917 - GM builds Detroit Gear & Axle Plant 2 for Cadillac to manufacture airplane parts for the war effort
- 1918 - General Motors bought the operating assets of Chevrolet Motor Company
- 1918 - Detroit Forge purchased by General Motors from Central Gear & Forge
- 1919 - Two separate companies formed, each under a different management but both Divisions of the General Motors Corporation - Central Gear Company (gear manufacturing) and the Central Axle Company (axle manufacturing). Both companies at first maintained offices in the Boyer Building and in April, moved into the Cadillac Aircraft Plant (Plant 2) and each occupied a separate section of the building.
|+ 1920 - 1929
- 1920 - In May of this year, the Central Gear Company, Central Axle Company, Central Forge Company and what was known as the Central Power Company merged and was given the name of the Central Products Company. Central Gear Company managed the Central Gear and Central Axle - Central Forge Company managed the Central Forge and Central Power.
- 1922 - Central Products Company was taken over by Chevrolet Motor Company and renamed Chevrolet Gear & Axle, the unit under the management of the Central Gear Company was then called the Chevrolet-Gear & Axle Division, the gear plant being called Detroit Plant 1 and the Detroit axle plant called Plant 2.
- 1923 - Detroit Forge plant became part of Chevrolet Motor division
- 1923 - The New York Buffalo Plant was constructed and began operation as a Chevrolet assembly plant. The first Chevrolet automobile was assembled here on August 13th - approximately 400 people were employed.
- 1923 - Four-wheel brakes introduced on 1924 model year Buicks
- 1924 - Walter P. Chrysler formed new company
- 1925 - GM do Brazil established in São Paulo
- 1926 - Fisher Body bought out by GM
- 1928 - Chrysler bought out Dodge Brothers
- 1928 - Detroit Forge added Detroit Gear & Axle Plant 1 to produce crankshafts
- 1928 - The Detroit Chevrolet-Gear & Axle Division completed construction of Plant 4
- 1929 - Stock market crashed
- 1929 - Detroit Forge added Plant 3 to produce Chassis Springs
|+ 1930 - 1939
- 1930 - US unemployment hits 4 million
- 1931 - Chevrolet-Gear & Axle Division completed construction of The Apprentice School - adjoining Detroit Plant 2 and the Personnel Building (completion of this project was in 1936)
- 1931 - Detroit Forge adds Plant 4 to produce bumpers
- 1932 - Roosevelt's New Deal Act, Prohibition ends, Social Security Act enacted
- 1934 - Introduction of the hypoid gear rear axle was a major change in gear cutting techniques. Volkswagen debuts
- 1935 - UAW is officially established - Before that decade will end, some 400,000 auto workers are represented by the union
- 1937 - GM recognizes UAW
- 1939 - WWII begins in Europe
|+ 1940 - 1949
- 1940 - Automatic Transmission invented by Oldsmobile
- 1941 - Pearl Harbor attacked on December 7th - US joined WWII
- 1941 - In response to the war effort, Chevrolet plants prepared for wartime production
- 1942 - In July, Chevrolet-Buffalo produced components for more than 60,000 aircraft engines and more than 6,000 people were employed during this period
- 1942 - Civilian car production completely halted for war effort support - helmets, uniforms and weaponry being manufactured on same lines that cars used to be built on
- 1943 - The Detroit Plant 6 began producing rear axles and gears for the US government's 4x4 and 6x6 trucks, T-17 armored car axles for British desert warfare
- 1945 - WWII ended
- 1945 - Chevrolet Gear and Axle in Detroit was awarded the "E" flag for excellence in meeting and exceeding national defense contributions
- 1945 - Return to civilian production and launch of Chevrolet's greatest expansion program to date
- 1946 - The production of axles at Chevrolet-Buffalo began again
|+ 1950 - 1959
- 1950 - Korean conflict began
- 1950 - GM plants used for war production although civilian production continued
- 1952-59 - Volume production of axles and other components resumed at Chevrolet-Buffalo in 1952. Steering linkages and coil springs were added their production responsibilities.
- 1952 - Tonawanda Forge in New York was built by Chevrolet Motor Division of GMC to produce aircraft aluminum engine forgings for the Korean Conflict effort – the contract was terminated, but Chevrolet and GM proceeded with the construction because of their need for automotive forgings
- 1955 - Tonawanda produced pitman arms, crankshafts, stem pinions, rod caps, idler levers, side gears, tie rod sockets, ring gears, steering knuckles, steering knuckle flanges and axle shafts.
- 1956 - Colfor Manufacturing established in Ohio
- 1957 - Pontiac's first fuel injection engine introduced.
- 1958 - Chevrolet introduced the El Camino, designed to combine big car comfort with the utility of a pickup truck, as a 1959 model.
- 1959 - Detroit Plant 7 (consisting of 3 buildings) purchased from L.A. Young Spring & Wire Corporation, to satisfy the demand for additional floor space required by the introduction of the Corvair and accommodate an engineering change on the 1960 truck job.
|+ 1960 - 1969
- 1962 - GM R & D provided EDM's for Crankshaft and Knuckle Dies at Tonawanda plant.
- 1962 - GM installed first robot on a production line.
- 1964 - The Mustang and GTO are introduced.
- 1965 - Richard E. Dauch named production foreman at GM Flint Assembly Plant.
- 1965 - First Tocco Motor Generator Induction Heater installed at Tonawanda facility.
- 1967/68 - The Steering Relay Rod operation was transferred to Tonawanda from Chevrolet-Buffalo.
- 1968 - Richard E. Dauch named Superintendent of Production at GM Flint Assembly Plant.
|+ 1970 - 1979
- 1970 - Richard E. Dauch named Chief Inspector at GM Flint Assembly.
- 1972 - WR Grace changed the name of Michigan Screw Products to MSP Industries.
- 1973 - Richard E. Dauch named Plant Manager of GM Livonia Spring and Bumper.
- 1974-76 - Manufacture of front axles was phased out at Chevrolet-Buffalo. Rear axle and steering linkage facilities were expanded.
- 1975 - Closed Die Flashless Warm Forming process developed.
- 1975 - Richard E. Dauch named Plant Manager at Chevrolet Gear & Axle (Detroit).
- 1977-78 - The Chevrolet-Buffalo Axle Plant converted to 7.5" rear axles exclusively.
|+ 1980 - 1993
- 1981 - GM's new worldwide Truck & Bus Group is formed.
- 1982 - GM installed its first flexible automation system at Chevrolet-Buffalo Gear & Axle.
- 1983 - The first of two National 7-4 Hot formers installed and wheel spindle production began at Tonawanda.
- 1984 - The Detroit and Tonawanda Forge Plants were transferred to the New Departure Hyatt Division of GM.
- 1984 - GM reorganized and Chevrolet-Buffalo joined the Saginaw Division.
- 1985 - MSP expanded operations and purchased the Oxford Plant from Gleason Gear Company.
- 1988 - Start of Cold-Formed Trunnion production at Tonawanda Forge Plant.
- 1989 - The Detroit and Tonawanda Forge Plants were transferred to the Saginaw Division of GM.
- 1989 - The Buffalo Plant was awarded its first non-allied rear axle business by Isuzu Motors Ltd.
- 1990 - Net shaped-gear production began at Tonawanda Forge Plant.
- 1990 - 100% of ring gear production was awarded to the Tonawanda Forge Plant.
- 1990 - GM Saginaw Division takes control of the Three Rivers facility in Three Rivers, Michigan.